MENTORS NEEDED: CHALLENGER DIVISION
Challenger Soccer mentors needed
Despite COVID, we are going to try and have Challenger soccer and need people to help with the kids. If your son/daughter is in middle school or older and is interested in helping make a difference within the community, please consider helping.
The goal of the challenger program has always been to ensure special needs kids have fun while participating in a safe, inclusive, supportive team environment without the pressures sometimes associated with team sports. Along the way we have been able to include neuro-typical mentors who provide value-added, nurturing role models for the challengers.
Here are the details:
- Saturdays starting September 12th from 2 PM – 2:45 PM
- Location: Knuth field (across from Lakeview)
- Need kids with:
- Willingness to help
- Sense of humor
- Maturity to cope with the unexpected
In order to safely practice, the following will be implemented while on the field:
- Social distancing
- Parents of the Challengers will be available to help with their children. The coaches and mentors are obviously not allowed to touch the players so the parents need to be on the field if their kids need assistance.
- Masks (please bring your own)
- We have noticed in the past that the challengers respond favorably to enthusiastic, humorous peer mentorship so your children will be helping with the drills and being the enthusiastic, fun-loving, superfans of the challengers.
- The number of challengers/mentors will dictate the participation ratio. Sometimes one mentor will have one Challenger and other times there may be multiple friends with each Challenger.
Please note, the following is extremely painful to ask, however….
By voluntarily participating you and your family agree to the terms described in the following:
- Township of Denville Recreation Department COVID-19 Waiver
- HUB Soccer of Denville/NJYS COVID-19 Waiver
It would be even better if you could print/sign these forms and bring them to practice.
Finally, by participating in the practice you confirm your child has not:
- had a fever of greater than 100.4 F in the last 10 days
- received a positive result from a COVID-19 test in the last 14 days
- been in contact with anyone while they had COVID-19 or symptoms of COVID-19 in the past 14 days
- experience any of the following symptoms within the past 14 days: cough, shortness of breath, runny nose, sore throat
Here’s a recent article which may help familiarize yourself with what we’re doing:
for-a-heartwarming-experience- take-in-a-challenger-division- soccer-match.html
See you on the pitch!